Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
mk1rceme
qsamike
6 posters

FOR ALL CANADIAN VETERANS

qsamike
    qsamike

FOR ALL CANADIAN VETERANS Empty FOR ALL CANADIAN VETERANS

Post by qsamike Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Greetings and Salutations to All....

You might want to sign the petition noted below, I will leave it up to you.....

Mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Anonymous

FOR ALL CANADIAN VETERANS Empty Re: FOR ALL CANADIAN VETERANS

Post by Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:25 pm

I have often wondered why there is no recognition for Primary Reservists such as my wife and myself who served for 6 years one evening per week and sometimes every weekend. We are both in receipt of Veterans Affairs disability pensions for service related injuries, yet we don't even qualify as Veterans for a Veterans License plate in Ontario, due to the Legion's criteria. The Royal Canadian Legion is the worst offender for not recognising Primary Reservists as Veterans. Hopefully, both my wife and I are eligible for such an award.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

That's crazy! I wonder why the Legion would shun reservists like you and your wife...doesn't make sense at all. I believe they treat Canadian Vietnam veterans the same way. Shame on them.

GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon May 03, 2010 11:01 am

How did you get hurt serving one night a week and an occassional weekend?

Geoff
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 am

You know, I try to avoid politics, but I just can't let this one go. Why should the Legion consider you a veteran? Did you serve outside of Canada? Were you ever shot at? Did you fight? You are a volunteer and that is something to be proud of, you served our Country, in our military, and that is noble and good. But does that make you a Veteran? I think not. Nor did I consider myself a veteran while serving in Canada in the PRes.

Lots of Canadians before you (and me) served in the Militia. Were they Veterans? No! Those who volunteered for the North West Rebellion, Boer War, etc etc, I would say You Bet!

So, you want a Veteran plate and a feel good medal? Gimme a break.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 pm

AS A MODERATOR, YOU SHOULD REALLY BE NON BIASED AND AVOID POLITICS. THIS IS A SERIOUS ONGOING CONFLICT, THAT EX-RESERVISTS THAT I KNOW ARE INVOLVED IN.

READ MY NEXT POST AND CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP, I AM ALSO WITHDRAWING MY PERMISSION, FOR THE FORUM TO USE IMAGES, THAT I HAVE POSTED FROM MY JTT COLLECTION, OF BADGES.

Last edited by 86thBattalion on Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 08, 2010 4:46 pm

GCR817 wrote:You know, I try to avoid politics, but I just can't let this one go. Why should the Legion consider you a veteran? Did you serve outside of Canada? Were you ever shot at? Did you fight? You are a volunteer and that is something to be proud of, you served our Country, in our military, and that is noble and good. But does that make you a Veteran? I think not. Nor did I consider myself a veteran while serving in Canada in the PRes.

Lots of Canadians before you (and me) served in the Militia. Were they Veterans? No! Those who volunteered for the North West Rebellion, Boer War, etc etc, I would say You Bet!

So, you want a Veteran plate and a feel good medal? Gimme a break.

I have been waiting for this one.

Yes indeed I am a Veteran, I am a Veteran of the Primary Reserve, and after giving up weeks of my life for my service, YES I deserve more than a piece of paper showing my 6 years. As far as the Veteran plate Premier McGinty and the Legion can shove it up their derrier, because it is highly discriminatory to those that served, and hundreds of ex Reservists felt the same as I and complained to the Legion about it.
    The term Veteran has been missused by those who are not familiar with the English language, like most Canadians, and the Legion. The term is used as Veteran of the Police Force, Veteran Firefighter, Veteran politician etc., etc., or do you think they were in wartime as well.

Are you also saying that my Father who enlisted in 1945, 2 months prior to the end of the war, and only saw service in Canada in training for the Canadian Pacific Force and was still awarded the War Medal, is not a Veteran because he served only in Canada and was not shot at. GIMME A BREAK
    To be used accurately, those that saw war service should be named WW2 Veteran, Korean War Veteran, etc., etc.,
    So yes, anyone that has served their country and releases is a Veteran of whatever service they were in. Perhaps the NON MILITARY YO YOs in charge of the Legion should be enlightened because their membership is lessoning and I know dozens of other Veteran Primary Reservists that won`t join the Legion because they are not considered Veterans, and are subject to the Legion discriminatory practices.

Perhaps you feel, I am not entitled to my 15% Disability Pension from Veterans Affairs due to an injury sustained during service, and my wife's 25% Disability Pension from Veterans Affairs, incurred during her training weekend at Ipperwash. If you want to know the circumstances call Veterans Affairs, and you GIMME A BREAK "EH"
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sat May 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen......

All I have to ask is how many of the brave people we have lost in all our conflicts and during peacekeeping operations that have started off their military career as reservists..... And how many of those reservists have we lost in the last couple of years.....????? Just because we were not called does not mean that we were not ready to serve.....

Mike
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat May 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Well, I was hoping everyone would get along but that seems to be all for naught. I have been messaged by Tom to cancel his membership...so I will be doing so as per his request.

Please guys, you wear the same uniform...get along nice. In my opinion, full-time or reservist...man or woman...all of you deserve all the benefits becoming of you for serving our country. I tip my hat to all of you.

I wish Tom all the best in his future endeavours and thank him for his participation here. He has an open invite to join us again if he so chooses in the future.

Dale

Wouter

Post by Wouter Sun May 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Now that this has spun out of control I would like to add my vision on this as well. Over here in the Netherlands our definition of a veteran is the following: A former soldier or conscript, who is a Dutch citizen and has served the Kingdom during a war or peacekeeping missions.

Having said that, I am also a reservist as I am still studying apart from that and I think that former reservists are not to be considered veterans. To put it bluntly, we are the 'weekend soldiers' and will very likely not experience any real danger, let alone be shot at. Therefore I do not even want some sort of trivial recognition like a number plate or a medal. In my opinion, that is reserved for the 'real' veterans. Who have put their lives on the line for their country.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Regarding the medal in question, if I had a choice I would prefer not to be awarded it. I find it embarrassing enough trying to explain the CPSM and don't need another which IMO cheapens the other medals that it would be mounted beside. It's like having reproductions mixed in a group of expensive collectibles... it lessens the impact of the great originals that are there. And besides, potential recipients really shouldn't have a say with regards to the issue of a new award. If you are presented it wear it, but don't ask for something to be created for yourself. That's how I see it.
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Mon May 10, 2010 8:43 am

Infanteer90 wrote:Regarding the medal in question, if I had a choice I would prefer not to be awarded it..... And besides, potential recipients really shouldn't have a say with regards to the issue of a new award. If you are presented it wear it, but don't ask for something to be created for yourself. That's how I see it.

I feel the same way and you'll not convince me otherwise. The Primary Reserve get the exact same "recognition" opportunities as the Regular Force; it's called the Canadian Forces Decoration (CD). However if they parade (say 3 hrs tops) the minimum, (once every 30 days(3hrs) = 12 times a year(36hrs) = for 12 years(432hrs or 18 days!) they get a CD same as the 12 year Regular who goes 24/7. Sure most do more than that but some do not and get the same "recognition". And before anyone lays into me; Yes, I do know we don't really go 24/7 but we do certainly more than someone whose military career is part time by definition.

Outside that, doing a tour, being Gallant or Meritorious to get a medal is the same for both. :talktothehand:

As for this GGVSM thing.......what a joke. Have you actually read this? The proponents bring the CVSM ("voluntarily served on Active Service...honourably completed eighteen months (540 days) total voluntary service...03 Sep 39 to 01 Mar 47") and the KVSM ("Korea and the adjacent areas, including Japan, Okinawa and Korean waters...27 Jun 50 to 27 Jul 54")as comparisons. These were for volunteering for Active Service (you know; to fight) and you actually had to leave the Armoury in Wetaskawin or Montreal to earn them. Sure, the CVSM didn't reqr you to leave Canada but the overseas bar took care of that. Still poor examples to hold up against this thing. Yet they want to dole this out for "...365 days of uninterrupted honourable duty in the service of their country Canada, since 2 March 1947."?????? A little broad ain't it? Talk about demeaning the whole honours and awards idea, eh? I can't believe John Blatherwick signed it!!! Shocked

Anyway, I wouldn't sign this to save my life and I certainly wouldn't wear it.

regards
    Darrell

-Primary Reserve Veteran
    -Cold War Veteran
    -Peacekeeping Veteran (UN)
    -Peacemaking Veteran (NATO)
    -Afghanistan Veteran and
    -26 yr Regular just finished working for a Primary Reserve Unit
    -In reciept of a VAC pension too....a veeeerrrrry small one for being Reg Airborne Armoured Recce.
    (hows that for insight? :lol: )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:53 pm