Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

WT & B 1918 CAC sling

Dave L

WT & B 1918 CAC sling Empty WT & B 1918 CAC sling

Post by Dave L Sun May 26, 2024 1:55 pm

WT & B 1918 CAC sling Asset11
    Curious about the sling? The CAC is for coast artillery corps but all i know about it.
    Any info or help would be appreciated
    Dave
    Seaforth Highlander
    Seaforth Highlander

WT & B 1918 CAC sling Empty Re: WT & B 1918 CAC sling

Post by Seaforth Highlander Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:02 pm

W.T. & B. is the maker. Westboro Trunk & Bag Co., Westboro, Ma
    1918 is the year it was made.
    C.A.C. letters are the initials of the U.S. inspector when the sling was made and accepted.

There was a web site years ago that covered "all" of the markings on these slings, but it is now defunct.

"C.A.C." does not represent Coast Artillery on these M1907 slings.

The leather is over 100 years old, so I do not recommend using it to carry the weight of a rifle as it could break and cause the rifle to fall onto the ground, or cement floor. :-(
    Such vintage slings are best for display use or for gentle use for bracing the left arm while shooting. Condition varies and can vary from very stiff and dried out, to torn, cracked or very soft etc.  Moving the claws to a new pair of holes and forcing them through the holes can cause the leather to tear.

If the sling is complete and in good condition I would be interested in it if you wanted to sell it as it is correct for the No. 4 (T) sniper rifles that I have.

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:46 pm